|Burns and Scalds (Baby and Infant)|
Burns occur when the skin is exposed to heat or chemicals, for example fire, sunburn, friction, acid, bleach or garden chemicals. Scalds happen when the skin is exposed to hot fluids, for example boiling water, steam or hot fat.
Burns and scalds are usually divided into three categories depending on how much damage they cause to the skin and underlying tissues. First-degree or minor burns are superficial and affect only the outer layer of the skin, making it red and sore.
Second-degree or partial thickness burns extend below the surface of the skin. The skin looks raw and blisters form.
Third-degree or full thickness burns damage the entire layer of the skin and underlying tissues to affect nerves, muscle and fat. The skin looks pale, waxy and charred.
First-degree burns can be treated at home and usually heal in seven to ten days. Second- and third-degree burns are much more serious and require medical attention as there is a risk of infection and shock (dangerously low drop in blood pressure) developing.
The incidence of burns and scalds in young children is much higher than that of older children and adults. Almost all burns and scalds occur as the result of accidents, and nearly all of these involve children. Ten children under the age of 5 are admitted to hospital each day as the result of a burn or scald.
Domestic fires pose one of the greatest risks to children. 46% of all fatal accidents to children are in house fires. Children playing with matches and lighters frequently start house fires.
Hot drinks cause most scalds to children under the age of 5. A child’s skin is much more sensitive than an adult’s skin, and a hot drink can still scald a child 15 minutes after the drink has been made.
Hot bath water is responsible for the highest number of fatal and severe scalding injuries among young children. Around 500 children, mainly under the age of 5, are admitted to hospital and a further 2000 attend Accident and Emergency departments every year as a result of bath water scalds.
Young children are also very vulnerable to sunburn. A baby’s or infant’s skin is more sensitive that that of an adult and it will burn if exposed to strong sunlight even for short periods.
Children can also suffer burns after contact with cigarettes, matches, cigarette lighters, open fires, ovens and cookers, irons and many other hot surfaces and hot liquids.
All burns and scalds cause intense pain at the site of the injury. First-degree burns can be recognised by slight swelling and redness. In second-degree burns, the skin looks red raw and blisters will appear. Black, charred or waxy skin indicates a third-degree burn and that the burn is serious. Serious burns can cause shock. Symptoms of shock include shortness of breath, dizziness, a rapid pulse and, in severe cases, unconsciousness or even death. A scald in the mouth or throat, may cause swelling and make breathing difficult. Sadly many burns and scalds leave children badly scarred for life and often requiring plastic surgery. Recovery may be a slow and painful process.
Most accidents involving burns and scalds can be prevented by a few simple safety precautions.
In the bathroom, fit thermostats to set bath water temperature to a maximum of 40°C. Run cold water into the bath before adding hot water. Bathe babies in warm water between 32°C and 37°C. Do not leave babies or infants unsupervised in the bath.
In the kitchen, fit a guard around the cooker. Place pots and pans on the back rings and turn the handles so they cannot be pulled over. Keep the flex short on kettles and irons and make sure the flex does not hang over work surfaces. Never hold a baby or infant in your arms while cooking. Do not warm baby bottles in the microwave as the milk may heat unevenly and scald your baby’s mouth. Fit a fire extinguisher or fire blanket.
Around the home, fit smoke alarms. Use guards in front of fires and heaters. Place hot drinks on a firm base and out of the reach of children. Avoid passing hot drinks over the heads of children. Keep household bleach, cleaning fluids and garden chemicals in a locked cupboard, and use child-resistant tops on bottles. Keep children well away from barbecues. Keep matches and lighters out of sight and reach of children. Extinguish and dispose of cigarettes properly.
In the car, be aware that in the summer seats and buckles can reach temperatures sufficiently high to burn if the car has been parked in the sun. Park in the shade, or cover the car windows with a shade.
In the summer, remember that a baby’s and infant’s skin is far more sensitive than your own skin and that they will not be able to stay in the sun as long as you can. Keep babies and infants out of the sun between 11am and 3pm when the sun is at its strongest. Use a sun cream with a sun protectant factor of 50 to cover all exposed surfaces of your child’s skin. Apply the sun cream liberally and reapply after swimming or paddling. Use a sun bonnet to protect your baby’s head, or a sun hat to protect your infant’s head. Cover all exposed areas of your child’s skin with light clothing when playing outside.
Minor burns – bathe the area in cold running water for at least 10 minutes and carefully clean away any dirt from the damaged area of skin while the wound is still underwater. Gently remove any jewellery or clothing. Do not break blisters or interfere with the burn. Do not apply any creams, lotions, butter or fat and do not use any adhesive dressings. Cover the area with a clean plastic bag or cling film to keep the area clean and help avoid infection.
Fortunately, most burns caused in the home are minor and will heal within a few days. As a secondary step, antiseptic creams and special sterile bandages available from the pharmacy will help soothe the burn, kill bacteria and protect the damaged skin. Simple pain killers such as paracetamol may be used for pain relief.
Severe burns and scalds – the priority is to cool the injury and seek medical advice as soon as cooling has begun, but this should not delay transmission of your baby or infant to hospital. Bathe the area in cold water for at least 10 minutes. While cooling the burn, check your child’s breathing and level of consciousness and be prepared to resuscitate. Do not remove anything sticking to the burn, do not touch the burn or burst blisters. Do not apply any creams, lotions, butter or fat to the burn. Remove any jewellery and burnt clothing from the injured area provided they are not sticking to the burn. Wrap the burnt area in a clean plastic bag or cover with cling film to prevent infection as a temporary measure while you are waiting for medical help to arrive or as you go to the Accident and Emergency department of your local hospital.
Chemical burns – if the burn is caused by a household chemical rinse the area immediately in cold running water for at least 20 minutes. Do not apply any creams or lotions, but try to remove any jewellery or clothing from the area. If the substance is swallowed and your child develops difficulty breathing or signs of shock, lay your child on the floor, loosen any tight clothing, check that your child’s airway is clear. Be prepared to resuscitate. Keep your child warm with a blanket and call for an ambulance. Show the chemical container to ambulance staff when they arrive.
If your baby or infant has a minor burn or scald apply first-aid, talk to your pharmacist. There is a large variety of antiseptic liquids, creams and sprays that the pharmacist may recommend to help avoid getting an infection. Special burn dressings can be used that will protect the wound while it is healing, but will not become stuck to it. Simple pain killers such as paracetamol may be used to ease pain.
All second- and third- degree burns carry the risk of shock. Call an ambulance if a burn or scald is severe or if symptoms of shock are observed. All second-degree burns and even bad first-degree burns should be seen and assessed by a doctor as soon as possible. Second-degree burns covering a large area, or burns to the face, hands or across joints, and all third-degree burns require hospital treatment. An ambulance should be called immediately.
Reviewed on 27/11/2009